PASMA is the organisation that knows mobile towers, and cares about the people who use them
Founded in 1974, the Prefabricated Access Suppliers’ and Manufacturers’ Association (PASMA), is the recognised focus and authority for mobile access towers. PASMA advances safety, standards and best practice across a wide range of sectors and represents the interests of its members in the UK, South Africa, South East Asia and the Middle East.
Whatever the need, the association has tower information, facts and expertise to impart at a level to suit everyone – from first time users to major contractors. Independent and self-financing, PASMA shapes and supports the future of the industry through the knowledgeable and enthusiastic involvement of its members. suppliers, specifiers and users.
Working in collaboration with other trade and professional bodies, industry regulators and key decision makers, PASMA fulfils a number of distinct roles, which includes:
- Providing and governing the industry standard training scheme for mobile access towers and delivering proficiency and competence as required by the Work at Height Regulations. For many, the PASMA certificate and ID card are the only acceptable proof of competence.
- Acting as a single, central source of information on all aspects of mobile access towers. DVDs, pocket cards, guidance notes and posters provide a wealth of information, as does the PASMA Code of Practice, the definitive reference for users, their supervisors and managers. Not forgetting the PASMA website and the mobile app, available on both Android and iOS.
- Sponsoring research, innovation and best practice. Most, if not all, the training and technical advances in towers and tower use have involved PASMA and its various specialist committees. These are made up of experts who know and understand towers and speak the language.
- Helping to set the standard. The association is an important contributor to the development and enhancement of standards governing the construction, use, inspection and maintenance of mobile access towers – not just nationally but internationally. It works closely with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), and other organisations, including Access & Scaffold Industry Association (ASIA), Hire Association Europe (HAE) and is a member of the Access Industry Forum (AIF).
- Playing a major part in promoting mobile access towers for temporary work at height – not just in construction and building maintenance, but in facilities management, the local government sector and retail. Taking part in conferences, seminars and workshops is an essential part of the association’s educational remit.
“The association is committed to delivering world-class support to all corners of the industry,” says Peter Bennett, PASMA’s managing director. “Providing practical skills and knowledge are central to meeting this objective.”