What is the current product standard for mobile towers?
EN 1004-1:2020 (published in the UK as BS EN 1004-1:2020) is the European standard for mobile access and working towers made from prefabricated elements. EN 1004-1:2020 covers standard mobile towers in the height range of 0 to 8m for external (outdoors) use and 0 to 12m internal (indoors) use. It replaces the previous version, EN 1004:2004, which is now withdrawn.
EN 1004-2:2021 (published in the UK as BS EN 1004-2:2021) is the European standard for an instruction manual for an EN 1004-1 mobile access and working tower. EN1004-2 replaces the previous standard, EN 1298:1996, which is now withdrawn.
BS 1139-6:2021 is the British standard for prefabricated tower scaffolds which use the same components as EN 1004-1 mobile access and working towers but in configurations outside of the scope of that standard. For example:
- high level tower scaffolds outside the maximum height limits of EN 1004‑1;
- tower scaffolds with more than one working platform at one time;
- large deck tower scaffolds;
- linked tower scaffolds;
- cantilever tower scaffolds;
- stepped tower scaffolds;
- tower scaffolds used as a means of access to another place;
- non-mobile towers built on base plates instead of castors, and;
- tower scaffolds subject to wind loads greater than 0.1 kN/m2 so outside the limits of EN 1004-1.
BS1139-6:2021 replaces the previous standard, BS 1139-6:2014, which is now withdrawn.
Where to get them?
PASMA Members will be able to download the standards from BSI Knowledge.